Thursday, October 3, 2019

24 hour workday


Th is fi lm should be 8-25 minutes long.
One or two ideas, kept simple.
Mostly regarding fi eldwork.
Audio should be compilations of assorted people reciting lines.
Recorded on iphone so all the same quality.
Sometimes overdubbed (2x people saying the same thing)
Use a variety of people.
Intro shot
*/spraypaint, slowmo, into air at night. Blue? (no)
*/open book, top shot - > spraypaint blue into center
it has to mean something.
I generally don’t listen to the choir while they’re singing.
did you fi nd yourself crying at the doorstep of a mosque?
there is a man,
and a dog
this time
do you believe in love?
well, it just hasn’t happened to me yet.
How can I be sure if I know? I usually just think I know.
*/sitting reading at food court, empty – varsity perhaps?
*/shot of book in between legs, fi ngers running through the pages /
low light
a relationship that reads less like an instruction manual, and more
like a poem
the importance passes
let us begin again
What does my face telling you when you say you love me?
*slo-mo of scrunched smile face, maybe
*general smily faces, in the street
I’m never sure, my face acts independently.
My eyes betray my better intentions.
I’m bored of my lips.
it’s our nose, darling
my face is an accident
the other more foreign
I’m sorry, I didn’t recognize you,
you’re who I remember you being.
blame your memory, not me
after all, who was it you swore to be true to?
I remember you cold, I told you not to bring a scarf
the warmth seemed promised
when do I see you again?
SPECULATION
will you love me forever
SPECULATION
and yet my line of questions is all set only for speculative answers
but love is sharing cigarettes and food,
and sleep
and wanting to not die
just quite yet
loving you without doom
new, with no point of reference
more immediately, ecstasy
further even, death
I sigh, meeting your mouth at the most exasperated end
lipsticked
the orgasm, postponed
you, the landscape
I’m as comfortable as can be
life as unremarkable as it is fi ne
deliberate saying nothing speaking
you’re adorable, I need to write.
I need to write, you’re adorable.
*/doing makeup
the retouching, like prose
*/staring beyond newspaper
I love the whole person
*/newspaper held in windshield wiper
le journaliste, en amour
how do you record silence?
desire is enough to keep death at bay
surely it’s better the devil you know
thou shalt not suff er a witch to live
like none of this ever happened
I think about you, you elsewhere
and I stay
and absence makes the heart
grow fonder?
makes the heart
hurt
but time multiplied by distance
speed multiplied by time
equals distance
equals desire
our math *both m/f say at same time
I think I biologically need you
I meteorically expect you to
*/botanical garden shot, slowed down gradually to like 5fps
is my nose bleeding or are you happy to see me?
I’ve always felt doomed
even in moments of pleasure?
the knowledge of the end lingers
and the orgasm?
an emotional atom bomb
how would I explain our relationship to a stranger
essential love
as in
is this essentially love
neutral spirits
gin and tonic daytime
it doesn’t count
the Switzerland of day drinking
what did you dream?
you coughed yourself awake
again
you coughed yourself awake then had a cigarette in the hallway
your point?
keep your earplugs in for me
I experience the apocalypse in fragments
*/aerial shot of bombing / war fi lmed off computer
we only know slowness by the calendar
*/
When I laugh, I sorta feel like puking.
But I have the fl u, and maybe I’m in love.
“well, it’s just that I’ve never felt like I’ve been loved the way that I
wanted.”
“feel free to change your defi nition.”
I don’t want to ruin it by making it a thing about other people
maybe this time it can be about us
how come when you give yourself a hickey it doesn’t feel the same?
*someone sucking on their wrist
I’m just as refl exive in my moods
overall more stable
no wounds to lick
*mouth shot
terms of convienence
conditions of failure
*same gestures reshot at slightly diff erent angles like an inch over
*fast shot / reverse shot
*/passing a book around
maybe we’ll get married
maybe we’ll never see each other again
*woman talking, no audio, face
*shot of same person talking, back of head
*color swatches on desk
A noir
E blanc
I rouge
U vert
*straight shot holding this swatch
O bleu
*sky, Gatorade, spraypaint, more blue
/*black
oh you
i get a kick out of you
what are you actually thinking of ?
/*/endblack
(this is the ending shot)
*shot, painting drying, being applied, canvas moving through the
street
I prefer this palate,
this temporary set of things. *paint gets blended
I would prefer not to start over. *painted canvas gets white streaks
in the middle
hello, real person
as if saying it makes you real,
this real
shot grabbing breast in cafe
“I love you I’m sorry”
Oct 28/2017
Mr. Von Trier,
Th e fi lm I have been currently working on, “Aucun Certain
Regard,” has been going well. Decently well, I mean. Reasonably
well.
I have been working on this fi lm while trying to honor the sacred
Vow of Chastity before I realized that my fi lm has been on DV.
DV being no aesthetic consideration – it’s a truth for a fi lm with
minimal budget.
It’s quite a problem.
However, I realize there have been exceptions.
example:
Korine’s Julien Donkey-Boy uses overlaid sound in the
intro montage, which goes against the tract – yet this fi lm has been
approved under Dogme 95 specifi cations.
Seeing as though the rules perhaps may be malleable, I must ask if
my format may be approved as a viable media in 2017.
If not, if the fi lm is projected and recaptured on Academy 35 – if
this an acceptable bypass?
Looking forward to taking my vows,
if not now, then.
Sincerely,
Dimitri Karakostas
730 Dovercourt, Toronto
###
“Kidnapping”
Situation du Cinema Instagram
“I like cinemascope, it wasn’t made for people – it’s only good for
snakes and funerals.” - FL
“Th e Greeks gave us logic. We owe them for that. It was Aristotle
who came up with the big ‘therefore’. As in, ‘You don’t love me
any more, therefore . . . ‘ Or, ‘I found you in bed with another man,
therefore . . . ‘ We use this word millions of times, to make our most
important decisions. It’s about time we started paying for it.” - JLG
opening line:
“I just don’t understand.”
closing line:
“therefore, we must remain complicit1 to the bitter end.”
focus:
“Other things could just have easily happened, then we would have
had a diff erent fi lm.”
“the greatest independent fi lmmakers of our age are shooting cats
sleeping, or people falling off buildings.”
-putting 4x6s on a table, arranging them, storyboarding
“the narrative leads nowhere. the images, however pretty, are the
only thing worth saving.”
notes:
-there can be no music. the focus must be on ambient noise.
1 complicit not lucid, yes
delayed fi lm for Rhodia 2017
I don’t like my notebooks to live that long.
I usually have three or four notebooks on the go at any time,
as I fi nd this crucial to keep work fresh.
Sometimes I feel like I haven’t found the right sized notebook for
whatever it is that i’m working on.
Currently:
bloc rhodia #12 3.3x4.7cm
for lists and small notes on potential work
usually kept in jacket pocket
speedball bienfang sketch, 5.5x8.5in
more comprehensive lists and agenda
essay outlines, designs for print and web,
labeled ‘logic’ on the cover
kept on me almost always
bloc rhodia ‘notebook’ 22.5x29.7cm
formal fi rst drafts
storyboards
allowed to go to the coff ee shop then immediately
returned home
Th ese three sizes and organizations of content I fi nd critical to
maintain a level of control over my life and work Even though I
rarely focus on the to-do lists, I fi nd it important that it exists –
however uncrossed. Th e cross notebook platform usually ensures
that something truly important doesn’t get lost – it might wind up
in all three notebooks as the idea evolves.
Th is system allows for a cycle of transcribing that tends to help
keep work fresh: approximately every two weeks a notebook gets
transcribed to the last written page. Th e used pages are then taped
up, eff ectively creating a new notebook unburdened by old ideas.
Current examples of which include:
white rhodia, 33 pages remaining.
Often times the notebook reaches its psychic end before it has been
fi lled. It just feels impossible to write in. It sits open and nothing
changes on the blank pages.
A judgment call must be made- to seal and store it away, or allow it
to hang around, forever unfi nished?
Th ese notebooks have exhausted their purpose, and therefore must
be retired in order to make room for fresh content.
Some things are fi nished, other things are just done.
a fi lm based on a formula
an artist, no, a writer,
longs for someone stationed in france,
no, rural north America,
the writer poses several scenarios of how things could work out
-most of them involving THEM working out
on paper, it seems plausible,
but the prose is unsatisfactory
and the story lacks structure
so what usually happens, happened
nothing
the script was fi ne but the fi lm doesn’t get made
after all, it was mostly images of a pretty girl smoking, reading, and
eventually being bothered.
c’est comme ça, point barre
Scene: I want you to stop talking to me.
(stop sign side screen with car crashed into it)
I was laying in bed after engaging in a voracious lovemaking
session (crowd screams and dub sirens etc) yeah yeah and
after realizing I was not going to climax and that it was seven
in the morning and I had no drugs left I decided it was time to
go to sleep. Right? So I roll over and wrap myself up in the
blankets (side screen rolls clip of me rolling over and wrapping my
self up) and my partner continued to try to chat. And I’m like, hey,
i’m sleeping here. (cheering) right guys? (howls) right?
(dogs barking) and i’m just like i’m sleeping here (dmx song plays)
right? and she gets mad and leaves and won’t return my calls and
i’m getting worried. I mean I miss her a lot. She means the world
to me. She’s my everything. So call me. Please. Return my texts
at least let me know you’re okay. If you’re into that sort of thing.
Scene: I’m fairly sure my drug dealer got arrested
(me wearing tiny glasses)
So it is a sad day here, on this show, in this place. I haven’t heard
from my drug dealer in four or fi ve days so I assume he is dead or
in jail because he wouldn’t just ignore me, I pay my bills, I do right
by him I think. I mean like, I think I’m too old to get a new drug
dealer. I can’t imagine starting over. Th is is really hard for me. If
you are a nice boy drug dealer that isn’t interested in murdering me
I suppose you can text me or call me I mean like, anytime, just hit
me up.
(phone number fl ashes on screen)
Scene: drinking problem
(cool people spring break drinking)
I believe I have a drinking problem. (crowd laughs) (someone
throws water in my face) (fi rst synth key of nothing compares to
you repeats) (scene cuts to me wearing small glasses) just kidding
don’t worry about me haha hey! (Seinfeld theme starts and gets
bitsmashed)
Scene: simple things
(head in hands) (handjob thing in screen)
I just want… simple things, you know, handjobs in the back of a
cab on our way to go eat noodles or taco bell, yeah, just not even
the whole way: just a bit. A couple tugs. Th at is a thing I would like
to happen. I think that could happen to me.
(me laying on the ground)
Scene: THINGS I HATE
(Spin around in chair real fast)
Th ree things I freakin hate
1 octopus taste and sometimes that includes mushroom taste
2 being alone in a crowded room or in an alone room
3
“fucking look at this mess
eberutjomg is wrpmg
disaster
fuck
this isn’t my fucking idea”
Scene: Plant Montage
succulents
more like
succ
my
lance
(text overlaid on screen)
with mmm whatcha say imogen heap song playing also
Scene:
If you would like to engage in protected sex with this man, press 1
(Stock footage of man throwing phone away)
Scene: perverts guide to instagram
THE MATERIAL FORCE OF INSTAGRAM
MAKES ME NOT SEE WHAT I AM EFFECTIVELY
EATING.
IT’S NOT ONLY OUR REALITY WHICH
ENSLAVES US.
THE TRAGEDY OF OUR
PREDICAMENT WHEN WE ARE USING
INSTRAGRAM IS THAT WHEN WE THINK
THAT WE ESCAPE IT INTO OUR DREAMS,
AT THAT POINT WE ARE WITHIN INSTAGRAM.
a treatment for a rap video
for this project we will require two camera people: me, henceforth
referred to as “camera a;” and another, “camera b.”
ideally, this would be shot on dv with two sony vx2000s. camera
a would be equipped with a century optics mkii .3x ultra fi sheye,
camera b would be entirely stock. perhaps a lens hood.
the artist and their pals would be walking three steps forward
towards camera a and then fi ve steps backwards in rhythm with
the song. camera a follows close from a low point of view, pointing
upwards. they look heroic, massive. their gestures wild, emphasized
with the fi sheye distortion. they lip sync their words perfectly. this
is being shot on a busy street. perhaps queen. camera b follows
about ten feet back, observing all the action and the gazes of the
onlookers simultaneously. the pedestrians are unsure what to make
of the situation.
“who are these guys?” they wonder.
this continues for three minutes or whatever the duration of the
song is, rather.
they are draped in all white and the shots are overexposed.
aucun certain regard
a girl is in a cafe, coff ee, minding her own business
text over and overdub:
“everything is about a girl, reading, waiting to be bothered”
(title cards) what -> happens -> next
the cinema cut and paste must keep a certain level of original
content. we can fi nd the happy medium, i’m sure.
there is nobody i feel can recite the lines. the words aren’t diffi cult,
but perhaps they are better read?
this fi lm started as an essay, which made more sense as a novel,
which maybe works as a fi lm. nobody is going to read an essay. i’ll
be lucky if people read the subtitles. who can i get to narrate this
fi lm? nobody wants to do that. no favors will be honored for this
task. so what. the next fi lm will have actors, yeah, with love poems
caught in their throat.
what came fi rst, infi nity or the void?
(throwing books on fl oor [wcf ],
food coloring in bowl[inf ], coff ee in same bowl[void])
with a little eff ort, it’s easy to forget (shots of buff ed graffi ti)
or to remember (catching tag over buff ed piece)
whichever you prefer
i refuse to let the novel interfere with the fi lm
why did you send me a photograph of your bookshelf ?
i thought we were sexting
what is it that you’re looking for?
SENSITIVE FEATURES
something you lack?
UNINTERRUPTED SLEEP
alone, together, until later
i always start sunday the same way. no shower, no coff ee, lingering
slowly around the house. get up, clothes on, walk east towards the
bookstores. usually, i’m not explicitly looking for any one thing. the
walk is the reward. clear head, focus. it’s become more than routine:
part of the meditation required for restoring reason into the week.
there is a lot of losing to come
you have to stand still
to really appreciate the eclipse, you have to stand motionlessbarely
breathing, trying to focus on the white dot moving slowly
over unnatural black sky.
i couldn’t see anything. a by-product of far-sightedness, perhaps?
i handed my special glasses away, they weren’t doing me any good.
you have to stand still
to really appreciate the eclipse
all heads pointed skywards
you have to stand still
detachment
this is a fi lm about a couple breaking up.
“separation anxiety”
shot: glass of wine being poured, brad picks up in hand with three
fi ngers and carries it to a table. camera pans left where actor sits
alone. this new POV is the dominant shot (think the pendulum
shot, godard).
the man yawns, the screen shows:
“a yawn is an afterthought of love”
(points, beyond here, are useless and this project has been long
abandoned due to creative diff erences with former collaborators.)
this was just a surrealist fi lm about cutting up lovers.
“this isn’t love. this is something else.”
“yeah, it’s chianti.”
this is always what happens
a sex scene
an attack
an attack
a sex scene
a car chase
a stand-off
the characters get paired off
a twist
a subtle diff erence
someone bursts out laughing

No comments:

Post a Comment

call of duty: situationalist international

I just landed in Verdansk, Kastovia. I check my map: i'm in the middle of a field, in an area simply called 'farmland.' I can se...